Bedroom Flooring -- Neufloor Update and Verdict

Neufloor Update and Verdict

It's been a month since the touched up.  I believed that's enough time for me to calm down.

Trip to Showroom

Before the Neufloor guys come down to fix the problems, we went down to their showroom in Guillemard Road.

The salesman explained the product and gave us a demo: lighting it on fire and scratching it with a coin.  I examined the system and got a better idea how to put the system work.

Fix-it team

The same two guys came down.  Found out the supervisor's name was Q? or sounded like it.  He didn't seem to want to let us know.  He also said that the first guy who came down was Andy, his GM.  At this point, I didn't know if I could believe his words.

How to install skirting

If you don't already know, these days, the vinyl floorings are mostly using clip-on: easier, faster.

In the showroom, the skirting, or side board was also clip-on.  Something similar to this:


I didn't had the chance to take photos while the salesman was explaining it to me in the showroom.  In the case of Neufloor, the metal clip was nailed to the floor.  Then the skirting board was pressed down onto it.  In either system, no nails will show.  Not like this:



There was no need to cover the nails with coloured silicon.  It was so badly done it was like screaming out to me, "check me out! Nail inside!"


An Unforgettable Conversation

When asked, the supervisor replied:

"We only do that (the clip-on for skirting) in Europe.  We don't do that in Asia."

Then why did the showroom use the clip-on?

"That was wrong.  We told the salesman already."

You had a clip-on system for floor tiles.  You also had a clip-on system for skirting.  Can't you see that someone had already thought of the installation process and designed the system, why didn't you just follow it??

"It's like that one, we don't do it in Asia."

  ....

"We have done hundreds of houses in Singapore.  All like that one."
  ...

"Really, we have done HUNDREDS of houses in Singapore..."

After the third time he mentioned it.  I shut up.  There was an epiphany...

I should not be angry with him.  Instead, I should be angry with YOU... 

The hundreds of YOU who had done it before me.  If enough of YOU had spotted it: the nails, the sharp and uneven corners, the mis-matched colour between the floor tiles, gap-fillers and skirting... I don't have to face it.

They did tried their best

I was sure they did.  They got hold of some of my boxes to weight the tiles down in places, tried to use razor blades to smoothen the corners...

By then, I had given up.  Because without the right techniques and tools, there was no way they could fix the problems.

European Standard vs Asian Standard

Macbook vs Acer/Asus/Lenovo...

When I mentioned this incident to my brother.  He had the same experience when his condo in China was being renovated.

"We are not up to the European standard and renovation workmanship in China is not quite up to our standard."

 He had to show the workers there pictures of how things are done here.  Even then, they didn't know how to do it -- no expertise, no tools.

Conclusion

Material wise, it was good: comfortable to walk on and none of the 'stickiness' on a hot day when your feet are a little damped.  Conceals dirt pretty well too. However, I could not condone the bad workmanship and equally bad excuses.

Verdict: Avoid.



Comments

  1. I have found that usually carpets are the best option for bedrooms if you don't have allergies or aren't living in a hot area. They have a way of invoking a sense of comfort, warmth and intimacy which is very hard to find in any other type of flooring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanyabath fittings Pvt. Ltd. is the best brand in Over Head Shower Manufacturers, Suppliers, Traders, Exporter in India. We are leading the industry the best quality Over Head Shower, Bathroom Shower Manufacturers & Supplier. For buy, the requirement related to Over Head Shower calls us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sharp corners are also killing me. I have young kid at home, and I am always worried the sharp corners will hurt her one day! No matter how many times we asked them to fix it, they only put on silicone!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cooker Hood -- What is the right height?

My HDB 4 Room, 4A Floor Plan

Response time of HDB's general enquiry...you will be surprised!